tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 25 23:19:50 2001

RE: KLBC: jIbergh

Se' lI'wI'

That should mean "radio wave receiver". Literally it is a thing which
"transmits data to a place", but from usage, we can tell this means
"download" or "receive". It's a small stretch to consider sound to be data.
The other verb is {lab}, which means to upload or send, which Okrand glosses
as "transmit data from a place". Basically, the "place" in both definitions
is the place where the device is sitting. By this logic, to receive is to
transmit to a place. To transmit from a place is to send.

This is probably clear as mud, but the usage is in ST3, the third movie,
Search for Spock.

Besides, {lab} makes too good of a pun with "lob", to toss something at
someone.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level