tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 25 12:27:12 2001

RE: KLBC: jIbergh

Sean Healy wrote:
> qen labwI' choH "UPN" 'ej labwI' chu' vISuqbe'.
>
> Is there a word for station/channel?  {labwI'} was the best I
> could do.

DloraH:
: lab is transmit data (away from a place).
: labwI' - a thing that transmits data (from a place).

I agree; I would understand {labwI'} as "transmitter" (device) or "broadcaster"
(person).  For a broadcast network you might use {labmeH pat} or {labmeH
malja'} from an economic point of view.

: "I did not acquire a new transmitter".  For UPN this can work because they
: are transmitting.  You could have added mI' or per.  labwI' mI' -
: transmitter number.  labwI' per - transmitter label.
:
: We have a couple verbs "transmit", we have "transceiving device", but we
: don't have just a (radio wave) receiving device.

 From ST3 we have {HablI'} "data transceiving device":

  HablI', Su': labbeH. (punctuation uncertain)
  Ready to transmit. ST3

Other types of {HablI'} are {ghogh HablI'} "telephone" (i.e. "voice data
transceiving device" [HQ 5.2]), {nav HablI'} "FAX machine" (i.e. "paper data
transceiving device" [HQ 5.2]) and {'evnagh Se' HablI'} "subspace radio"
(KBoP).  For television we would ideally need a word for image or picture, but
since we don't have one we can use {HaSta} "visual display (on monitor)":
*{HaSta HablI'} "television set".

: We have Se' - frequency (n)

Other known types of {Se'} are {rI'Se'} "hailing frequency" and {'evnagh Se'}
"subspace radio".  As used in canon:

  DIvI' Se' wI'IjtaHvIS DaH ngoqDe' wIHevta'
  We've just received an encoded message on the Federation
   frequency. (MO's ST5 notes)

  labmeH 'evnagh Se' lo' tlhIngan QumwI'
  A Klingon communicator sends a signal through subspace radio. S19

We also have {chaDvay'} "radio frequency, Hertz", never used in canon - though
we don't know how this differs from {Se'}.  As a tentative working theory based
on the SkyBox S19 example: Perhaps {Se'} is more general, referring to the
medium as a whole, while {chaDvay"] might be used with the actual frequency
numbers (or call letters)?  Okrand's ST5 example might also be translated a bit
more generally as "While monitoring (listening to) Federation subspace
radio..."

  2345.67 chaDvay' 'oH DaHjaj DIvI' Se' pegh'e'. (?)
  The current secure Federation frequency is 2345.67 Hertz.

> Is {Suq} specifically an act of physically obtaining something?  TKD is
> not very clear on this.

: Suq isn't wrong, it's just not what comes to my mind when I hear it.  It
: think of Corporal Clinger on MASH, don't ask how he "acquired" the stuff.

{Suq} "acquire, obtain, get" in canon:

  vISuqta'
  I have acquired it. TKD

  ghewmey tISuqQo'
  Don't catch any bugs. TKW

  ghewmey SuqQo'!
  Don't catch any bugs! (Clipped) ST6

  vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'.
  So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift. (Hallmark)

  HIja' < GIBBERISH (??!) > wISuqnIS.
  Yeah, we should get him a thank you card. (Hallmark)

  ngoDvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'. woQ luSuqmeH jIjpu'
   chaH romuluSngan'e' je.
  To this end, the sisters have acted against Gowron, going as far
   as to work with Romulan factions in order to gain power. S26

  boq lucherDI' tlhIngan wo' romuluS Hov wo' je So'wI' cham Suqpu'
   tlhIngan wo'.
  Cloaking technology was gained through an alliance with the
   Romulan Star Empire... S33

> Would {Hev} be a better word than {Suq} to use for receiving
> transmissions?

: If I didn't first look for a possible better word, I probably would have
: used Hev.

{Hev} "receive" in canon:

  DIvI' Se' wI'IjtaHvIS DaH ngoqDe' wIHevta'
  We've just received an encoded message on the Federation
   frequency. (MO's ST5 notes)

  HoD, yo'SeH yaHnIvvo' potlh De' wIHevtaH.
  [Captain, we are receiving a priority message from [Fleet]
   Operations Command. (MO's ST5 notes)

For reference, there's also {chav} "achieve, gain, attain" which seems to be
used more metaphorically (i.e. achieve honor or victory, attain a state of
spirituality, etc.).

> wa' Hogh ret 'entepray' bejmeH "cable" vISuq 'ej DaH vIbejlaHbe'.
> qoH chaH "cable" loHwI''e'.

For cable we can use either {tlhegh} "line, rope" or {SIrgh} "string, thread,
filament".  So, cable television could be either *{SIrgh labmeH pat} for the
technology/system and *{SIrgh (HaSta) HablI'} for a cable-equipped (television)
set.

  qen SIrgh HablI' chu'qu' vISuqta'.
  I've recently acquired a brand new cable-ready TV set.

Finally getting back to Sean's original post we can use Okrand's first ST5
example as a model and say:

  Do'Ha' UPN Se' chu' vIbejtaHvIS wab vI'IjlaHbe' jay'!
  Unfortunately I can't hear the $%@# sound when watching UPN's
   new frequency!

rIn.

--