tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 22 10:12:40 2001

Re: KBLC- really basic

> How to say 'about', as in 'tell me about yourself', 'a book about dogs'
> (not 'round about', 'about 5')

(Thank you for realizing the multiple meanings of "about" and including context
to specify which meaning you want)  :)

As with most translations there are several ways to do this.

"tell me about yourself"

jIHvaD yIDel'egh - describe yourself for me.
qunlIj HIja' - tell me your history.
(jIHvaD) yIlIH'eghchu' - Completely introduce yourself (to me).

yIlIH'egh - introduce yourself; I would expect just a name.  With -chu' on
there I'm implying that I want more than just your name.  But does this request
all the information you want?  I doubt he would go on to tell you his favorite
color and what he did last summer.  But it would be more that just his name.

"a book about dogs"  (a book about animals)

Ha'DIbaH QIjbogh paq - a book which explains animals.
Ha'DIbaH Delbogh paq - a book which describes animals.

Which verb you use depends on what exactly the book covers.  I'm sure you can
find other verbs that could also fit in there.

Note:  Ha'DIbaH Delbogh paq - "a book about animals" can also read as "the
animals that the book is about".  If context doesn't make it clear which one is
the head noun, you can add the suffix -'e' on the head noun.
Ha'DIbaH Delbogh paq'e' - a book about dogs.
Ha'DIbaH'e' Delbogh paq - the animals that the book is about.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level