tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 17 18:44:00 2001

Re: KLBC: Turning a verb into a noun

jatlh Voragh:

>I tend to consider {-ghach}ed nouns to be the Klingon equivalent of fancy,
>pedantic/scholarly, $10 words in English.  I.e. if you want to translate
>something like "antidisestablishmentarianism", {-ghach} is ideal.

I tried to phrase the question I'm about to ask in Klingon, but I needed to
use {-lu} and {-laH} on the same verb... :)

If we want to use terms that are intended to be purely technical
(translations of linguistic terms come immediately to mind - we can't
discuss too much of that in pure Klingon) then would it be proper to use
{-ghach} simply to mark that they ARE technical terms? For example, instead
of <<tlhuHqa'ghach>> (hypothetically) meaning "*resuming-breathing-ness" or
some other translation, it could mean "aspiration" (linguistically): the
quality of resuming breathing (?)

Any ideas?

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han