tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 16 22:33:23 2001

KLBC: tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh

(Klingon which one speaks, spoken Klingon)

tlhIngan Hol vIghitlh 'e' vIghoj.
(I write Klingon. I learn it.
I am learning to write Klingon)

tlhIngan Hol vIlaD 'e' vIghoj.
(I read Klingon.  I learn it.
I am learning to read Klingon)

tlhIngan Hol jatlh 'e' vIjaylaHbe'.
(One speaks Klingon.  I can't understand it.
I don't understand spoken Klingon.)

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaHbe'.
(I can't speak Klingon.)

'e' vIghoj 'e' vIneH.
(I learn it [speaking and understanding Klingon].  I want it.
I want to learn how.)

chay' vIghoj?
(How I learn?
How can I learn?)

qech DaSovchugh jIHvad yIja'.
(If you know ideas, to me you tell them.
Tell me any ideas you have).

I wasn't happy with how I said "I want to how", biut I didn't know how to
recast it so it would be any better.  Is it permissible to use 'e' like
that?

I struggled for a while with "Tell me any ideas you have" and finally
settled on that recasting.  Does it make sense?  I wasn't sure about have
vs. know, and finally settled on know because it didn't seem like ideas
would be something one "possessed".  Should I have used the verb for have?

Is there a way to combine the first two sentences -- "I am learning to
read and write Klingon" -- so that they aren't so repetitive?

How about the third sentence?  I wasn't sure about "spoken Klingon" and
eventually came up with the recasting in the subject and this sentence.
Is there an easier way to write that?

qalanIy

Back to archive top level