tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 15 15:18:14 2001

KLBC: Turning a verb into a noun

Time for my next question. Is there any way in Klingon to make a verb into a
noun? I want to turn the verb "to sleep" into the noun "sleep".

What I really want to say is "Sleep is important". I found the construction
"To be" (TKD 6.3), and to make it easier I changed my sentence to "To sleep
is important", or exactly "As for to sleep, it is important". It seems like
I want to mix the two examples. Firstly "To sleep" is my subject, which
makes me want to use {-'e'}, but secondly, to say "it is important" I want
to use the pronoun {'oH} as the subject. Here's my attempt:

Qong potlh 'oHtaH 'e'

I still have the question about turning verbs into nouns, apart from solving
my mysterious sentence.
(By the way, I have a really short and "to the point" away-message now, as a
true Klingon...)

- Jonas

Back to archive top level