tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 07 18:17:25 2001

RE: Help for someone new!

Hello, I'm DloraH.  I am the current Beginners' Grammarian for this list.
It's my job to help the beginners.

> I have been slowly trying to work through  Qo'noS QonoS (jar
> chorgh) and notice I have a problem right from the start.   I
> have looked through the dictionary and KGT and cannot find the
> word wen anyplace.  It doesn't seem to be a noun or verb?  Is
> this a new word that has been added to the dictionary?

wen was given to us after KGT came out.  For a complete word list you need
TKD (The Klingon Dictionary), KGT (Klingon For The Galactic Traveler), and
the New Words List at the KLI's website:
/tlh/newwords.html

wen is a noun, "months ago"

>                    Also, the first part of the article, ghItlh
> charghwI' <<qaStaHvIS jar NaQ qonmeH poh...  seems to translate
> out as :  write not occurring while month wholly record bridge of
> ship time ..

Be careful of the spelling (...naQ...poH...)
I'm not sure where the "not" came from.
Be sure to read through the first half of the dictionary where is explains
the basic layout of [object-verb-subject]; and also the explanation of
suffixes.

<qaStaHvIS jar naQ> - "While an entire month occurs"
The verb naQ (whole, entire) is modifying the noun jar.

<qonmeH poH qech joq Hutlhchugh Hoch> - "If everyone lacks ideas and/or time
for the purpose of writing..."
OK, this is a big one.  object-verb-subject (OVS); the verb in the middle is
Hutlh (lack), and it has a suffix attached to it, -chugh (if); "if they
lack".  Who is "they"?  Hoch (everyone) is the subject.
And now for the object; <joq> is the conjunction (and/or) when connecting
nouns, as opposed to the conjunction <qoj> which is used to connect
sentences.  The two nouns it is connecting are <poH> (time) and <qech>
(idea).  When connecting nouns, the conjunction goes at the end of the list
of nouns being connected.  <qonmeH> is a verb with a suffix.  <meH>, when
all by itself, is the noun (bridge); but here you see that it is attached to
<qon>; it is a suffix.  The suffix <-meH> is (for the purpose of...).  <qon>
is "compose, write, record".  <qonmeH> "for the purpose of composing".  This
is modifying the noun <poH>, or it could be modifying both nouns <poH> and
<qech>; in this situation it doesn't change the meaning much whether it
modifies one or both nouns.  <qonmeH poH> "time for the purpose of
composing".

>                                                Of course, if you
> look in the KLT it could also translate out has having something
> to do with a ponytail.

KLT?

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level