tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 07 12:04:38 2001

Re: taH

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 12:32:39 -0400, "TPO" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> jIHvaD bItaH'a'
> >>
> >> I thought of this when I was watching a movie and one guy asked =
> another
> >> if he was being straight with him.
> >
> >Would "being straight" MEAN the same thing to a klingon?  For all we =
> know
> >this is what it could mean to be "clever as an eyebrow".
> >Without your english explanation I would have taken this as a =
> conversation
> >between lovers or soul-mates; "Do you exist for me?"
> >

> >DloraH
>
> Ah but it's all about context isn't it.  Otherwise I would probably
> agree.=20
>
> yaSvaD jatlh Hod << wa'Hu' jaghla' DaHoH'a' >>
>
> jang yaS << HISlaH >>
>
> yaSvaD jatlh Hod << jIHvaD bItaH'a' >>
>
> jang yaS << ghobe' >>
>
> yaSvaD jatlh Hod << maj >>
>

> As I say it was only a thought that pinged into my head whilst watching
> a movie. Perhaps its crap but do we really know what taH means beyond
> its 'endure' meaning...=20

Actually, I might read this totally opposite: are you being at a negative
angle with me?  Maybe that's being "crooked."  Actually, this whole thing
is badly malglico.  STRAIGHT IS HONEST is an English metaphor, not
necessarily a Klingon one (thank you, Agnieszka, for the tools to talk about
metaphor like this.)

~mark

Back to archive top level