tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 04 13:05:48 2001

Re: Artificial languages (was RE: Enterprise)

> Jiri:
> > And, probably, fair chunks of negation... TKD doesn't even bother to
> > specify how words like "never" are used, beyond giving their glosses
> > and noting they go at the beginning of the sentence.

Voragh:
> {not} "never" in canon:

Thanks for the list! Basically, it's exactly like in English.

> > One suspects that their usage was not particularly consciously
> > designed. (I have perhaps the problem here that my two primary
> > languages differ in this usage.)

> Jiri, from your name I'm assuming one of them is Czech?  If Czech works
> like Russian,

Yes and yes.

> I can see the confusion.

I'm not really confused - I just didn't know which of the two options is
used in Klingon earlier this week, seeing as TKD is silent on the topic,
except for the single example in the Appendix.

> while Russian requires that the verb be negated separately (i.e. a double
> negative):

>   Ya ego nikogda ne videl.
>   ("I him never not saw [impf.]")

Yup. There's an example in Czech which has four words, all of which need to
be negated...

	Nikdy nikomu nic never.
	Never no-one{-vaD} nothing don't-believe.
	Never believe anyone anything.

> we've never seen a double negative in Klingon AFAIK.

No worries.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib