tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 04 12:30:17 2001

Re: reH taH leng 'ej taHtaH

cheesbro:
> >     reH taH leng 'ej taHtaH            (The road goes ever on and on)
> >     lojmItvetlhvo' taghpa'             (Down from the door where it began)

DloraH:
> "Befor it begins from that door"
> How does the -pa' fit in?
> lojmItvetlhvo' tagh

"It began at that door." {-pa'} is the perfective, meaning that the
beginning is completed. The journey has already started.

> >     DaH HopchoHpu' lengvam             (Now far ahead the road has gone)
> >     'ej vIghoSlaHchugh vIghoSnIS       (And I must follow it, if I can)

> As voragh mentions, can you: (leng) vIghoS ?
> maybe: jIghoS.  This doesn't make any reference to the leng, but in the
> context it would be understood, without running into the (leng) vIghoS.

That'll work...

> >     qam Doy'mo' vIthla'taH             (Pursuing it with weary[1] feet)

> "I am pursuing it because of tired feet"

Ah, I think I conflated -mo' with the instrumental case. My bad.

> So if your feet were not tired, you wouldn't be pursuing it?
> Try two sentences. - qamwIj Doy'.  'ach vItlha'taH.
> "My feet are tired, but I am still pursuing it."

Without the {'ach} - I need to be able to drop in `eager' without changing
scansion... (Or, rather, the other way around - `tired' for `eager'.)

    Quch qamwIj. vItlha'taH.           (Pursuing it with eager feet)
    Doy' qamwIj. vItlha'taH.           (Pursuing it with weary feet)

> >     He tIn muvbe'taHvIS                (Until it meets some larger way)

> By itself this looks ok, but it doesn't work when you try to link it with
> the next sentence.

I gave up on linking the sentences, and just had the next one as "many
journeys and many missions meet there"...

BTW, I've since changed my mind and made it an intersection rather than a
wider(???) course.

    qep Daq muvbe'taHvIS               (Until it meets some larger way)

> >     pa'Daq qIH leng puS Qu' puS je     (Where many paths and errands meet)

> I don't have my books with me right now, but if I remember correctly,
> "there" doesn't need -Daq.  You could also use DaqvetlhDaq, or not...

As has been pointed out to me.

> The english says "many", but the klingon says puS/"few".

Yup, and it took me three days to notice I did that.

> >     ghIq nuqDaq juH? jIjanglaHbe'      (And whither then? I cannot say)

> juH?  How about ghoch/"destination"?
> ghIq can work, but what about possibly ngugh?

{ghoch} and {ngugh} are better.

   ngugh nuqDaq ghoch? jIjanglaHbe'    (And whither then? I cannot say)

Thanks for your comments!

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib