tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 02 00:01:03 2001

RE: Enterprise Time line

nuqjatlh? Let's see... There's a {law'} and a {puS}, so I'm tempted to think
that's a comparative, but {nIteb} is an adverbial, not a verb expressing a
quality, and it looks a little strange with {-taH} tagged onto it. {Qum}
doesn't make a very good verb describing a quality, either, especially with
{-taH} on it, since these verbs describing a quality are actually being used
like adjectives and as such probably can't take anything but negative
suffixes or {-qu'}. I'm completely lost. Then there's the sentence that ends
in {-meH}. Verbs with {-meH} can modify either nouns or verbs, but in either
case, they have to preceed what they modify, and this doesn't preceed
anything but a period.

This seems to be a case of one using one's teeth to detach a mass with an
inappropriate size and texture to suit the function of masticating. Let's
look to the English and try again.

> "No language survives alone, it exists as a means of comunication
> withing a shared cultural society or context.
>  I speak of things Klingon."

nIteb taH pagh Hol. Ummmm. "withing"? Oh. Um... QumlaHmeH nugh jeSwI'pu',
chen Hol 'ej taH Hol. rurchuqnIS qechmey'e' qelbogh nughvam.

> If there has been ONE Episode of Star Trek that had more spoken
> Klingon, or pertained more ABOUT Klingons, currently or in the past,
> then please let us know and speak about it.

The television shows never have spoken ta' Hol. Okrand has had to create
words to match what they said more times than they have bothered to use the
2,200+ words that he had already created.

> As far as I know THIS IS THAT Episode.
> chaq jIlughbe', 'ach reH Qor'etlh jIH!

jISaHbe'. When a movie comes out and Okrand is consulted, I watch the movie
and I buy the video. In all other circumstances, Dojbe'mo' Holqoqchaj
jISaHbe'.

> For those who wish merely to chat IN Klingon amongst yourselves,
> please do so. For the rest of us who came her for more than one very
> tiny narrow focus then please join in the conversation about Broken
> Bow.

There really are other places to do what you wish to do. Daqvetlh 'oHbe'
naDev'e'.

> ...and the affect of temporal changes, in fact the entire plot, is
> primarily revealed in deciphering the speach of these Klingons of
> yore. Once you get past the dialect (or poor pronunciation of the
> principle actors), if you bothered, you'd understand the context of
> my response.

What those actors say when they pretend to speak a language they have not
had explained to them cannot be considered to be language in any form.
Whoever wrote down the nonsense they are supposed to pronounce was not a
linguist or a Klingon speaker. It is gibberish written by someone who may or
may not have ever seen TKD, but certainly never talked to Okrand, never
actually USED TKD in the manner it was designed to be used and never used
any of the other materials available for anyone interested in learning the
language.

> qo'mey poSmoH Hol... chaq yabDu' je ('ej valwI'pu' jatlhwI'pu' je)!
>
> I have a copy of the Script for Broken Bow. Would anyone care to know
> it's contents? It might help you translate the dialogue you have
> already observed within the historical propaganda of these Federation
> barbarians.
>
> Perhaps Voragh already has this, but then again he hasn't shared it
> yet, so I make this offer that we may go over the text versus its'
> delivery.
>
> 'oH'e' "tlhIngan" yap'a'?

yap'a' tlhIngan Holvam? lughchoHchugh, chaq yap. laHlIj DaDubnIS.
bIqeqchugh, laHlIj DaDubbej 'ach bIqeqnISbej.