tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 30 18:56:15 2001

Re: yem! (was Re: Klingon WOTD: wem (n))

>A pet peeve of mine is the way Christianity likes to claim things as its
>own
>that existed long before Christianity and continue to exist quite
>independent
>of Christian mythology. Listen to them, and you'd think that charity,
>honesty,
>kindness and all things noble cannot exist without faith in the Christian
>God.

chaq Dochvam lumaq "Christians" 'ach maqbe' "Christianity".

An important distinction. But you do have a point.

"Christian" jIH.  jupmey "muslim" vIghaj.  jupmeywI' "muslim" QaQ law'
jupmeywI' "Christian" law' QaQ puS.

Christians do not have a monopoly on virtue.

Personally, I don't believe those characteristics are possible without a
faith in something, even if that something is merely the innate goodness of
mankind (or at the very least, the innate potential for goodness), a la
secular humanism.

I probably should have used one of the alternate pairs Okrand said could
replace law'/puS, as I use {law'} as an adjective in the sentence.
Unfortunately, I have long since returned KGT to the library, and I no
longer remember what the other pairs were, so I decided to stick with
law'/puS.  (Perhaps any pair of opposites will do.)