tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 26 17:36:17 2001

Re: Dab (was KLBC)

jIjatlh:

> > Using {-Daq} with {Dab}, with a prefix indicating "no object", sounds even
> > weirder to me:
> > {nuqDaq bIDab} "Where do you inhabit?"
> > {Qo'noSDaq jIDab} "I inhabit on Kronos"
> >
> > As DloraH suggested, this last example sounds to me like the speaker might
> > be homeless on Kronos.

jang SuStel:

>Where are you guys getting homelessness from?  These examples are different
>from the norm as "In America I inhabit" is.  The meaning seems clear, but
>it's stated incorrectly.  It doesn't follow the accpeted (by Klingons)
>pattern.
>
>Lack of an object doesn't indicate the object is nothing.  It might mean
>there is no object, or it might mean the object is general, or unstated.

I'd expect someone normally to say {Qo'noS vIDab}. However, if they said
{Qo'noSDaq jIDab}, then I would guess that either they misspoke and *meant*
to say {Qo'noS vIDab}, or they're trying to get some other meaning across
by using the prefix {jI-}; maybe they mean:
"I live somewhere on Kronos, but I'm not gonna tell you"
"I live on Kronos, but I don't live in a home"
"I live on Kronos in general, wandering around from place to place"
But I agree that {Qo'noSDaq jIDab} doesn't make much sense without adding
one of these explanations.

- taD

Back to archive top level