tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 20 14:51:38 2001

RE: KLBC-Plea for the Dead

>> Kahless, we implore you to remember those warriors
>> who have fallen in your name.
>
>> qeylIS, ponglIjvaD Heghpu'bogh SuvwI'pu' tIqaw 'e'
>> wIthlobneS.

taD:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the subject of {tlhob} is the
> person being asked to do something. So you could {tlhob} Kahless, but you
> would {poQ} whatever it is that you want him to do. So you could change
> this to {'e' wIpoQneS} "Your honor, we demand that".

DloraH:
: poQ works.
: tlhob is defined as "request, ask, plead (v)". This is also mentioned in
: the Okrand interview in HolQeD Dec 98. Sometimes its the person, but not
: always.

Here's the interview DloraH is citing:

  What I wanted to do with {tlhob} and {ghel} is to distinguish
  between two different meanings for the English verb "ask". There
  are two "ask's". There's the "ask" where you ask a question and
  there's "ask" where you make a request. I wanted it to be two
  different verbs, though apparently there are times when the
  "request" verb is used to ask a question as well. So maybe the
  way it works is that {ghel} can ask a question and only as a
  question and the other one can mean that and is also used to
  request or plead or something like that.

{tlhob} "ask, request, plead"

  lutlhob <<naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?>>
  They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?" PK

  juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
  I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship.
  ("I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties
   of commander of this ship.") KGT

  qatlhob
  I ask you. (ST:Cont Klingon Ling. Studies)

{poQ} "demand, require"

  muSuvbogh DoS vIpoQ.
  I need a target that fights back. ST5

  To challenge someone to a duel, one will give the command
  {qablIj HI'ang} ("Show me your face!"), though this is often
  shortened to simply {HI'ang} ("Show me!"). When one does this,
  he or she is said to "demand" or "require" (poQ), a short way
  to say {qab legh 'e' poQ} ("He/she demands to see a face").
  (KGT p.68)

Actually, there's another verb which may work better for "implore" - {qoy'}
"plead, beg" (no examples attested in canon).  This is the verb you would use
to describe captives pleading for their lives for example.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level