tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 15 14:25:02 2001

Re: KLBC: qaD Dochvam.

Welcome to the list yemQo'yaD
Because you have KLBC in the subject you apparently know about it, so I won't
go through the introduction.

> qaD Dochvam.
> This is a test.

This does work, but I think it works not for the reason you think.  qaD is both
a noun and a verb.  Since there is no other verb in there, qaD is being a
verb.  If you want it to be a noun, you need to add a verb; in this case you
would most likely use a pronoun as to-be.
qaD 'oH Dochvam'e'.
Here qaD is a noun and the pronoun 'oH "it" is acting as a verb.
But what you have does work.

> HolwIj po'vaD je naDev ghItlhlaHchugh qaD.
> A test of my language skill and of my ability to post here.

[HolwIj po'vaD] is "for my skilled language".
[tlhIngan Hol SovwIjvaD] "for my knowledge of the klingon language".
Hmm, we should do this with two sentences; and in the process we'll drop the -
vaD.

tlhIngan Hol SovwIj qaD. jabbI'ID ghomvamvaD jIlablaH 'e' tob je.

It challenges my knowledge of the klingon language.  It also tests that I am
able to transmit to this e-mail list.

> QIn vIghItlhpa' 'ej lujpu'.
> The last time I attempted a KLBC message it bounced.

QIn vIghItlhpa'  is "Before I wrote this message ..."
pu' and ta' are aspect markers, not past tense.  This says that it already
failed before you even sent it.
QIn vIghItlhta' 'ach luj. - I had written a message but it failed.

> (So if this message does make it through hi everyone!

Qap

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level