tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 02 22:22:55 2001

RE: KLBC: confusion

> >DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
>
> "When the situation is dangerous, build a fire on the side."  Is this a
> Klingon proverb, or am I mistranslating something, or what is going on?  I
> don't understand what he's trying to convey.

This comes from the tape Power Klingon.  It is a Replacement Proverb.  When
you make a mistake and make yourself look dumb, you say one of several
replacement proverbs to restore your honor.

This one says that you meant to do what you did; perhaps as a diversion.  If
you are in a dangerous situation, you can create a diversion by setting a
fire off to the side.

The tape PK covers more detail about its use and some of the other proverbs
available.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level