tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 29 21:16:35 2001

RE: The REAL Armpit Story (a movie title that'll never sell)

Interesting that peHruS is so fond of speaking of himself in the third
person.

As was pointed out, I said the following, not SuStel. Likely, it was
ascribed to SuStel because SuStel followed my message with a more accurate
history of that moment at qep'a' when Okrand declared the word {'I'} to
actually mean "armpit". He was quoting my earlier message when he sent in
his correction. I trust SuStel's memory more than I trust my own when it
comes to something he has heard. He really does have a "phonographic"
memory.

> > Over a year later, peHruS cited {'I'} as "armpit"
> > > saying he didn't remember the source except that he knew it came from
> > > Okrand. After a couple weeks of bickering over the word,
> ghunchu'wI' found

> Actually, peHruS was accused of making up the word {'I'}...

I was asking for words for the New Words List and you suggested {'I'} as
"armpit". I had forgotten the whole incident with ~mark. I asked for the
canon source. You couldn't remember where you collected the word from, but
you were absolutely certain that it was from Okrand.

> and
> revealed that
> peHruS remembered that Mark Shoulson had made up the word as an
> example of
> what not to do.

Interesting. As I remember it, ghunchu'wI', then as now, went to the archive
and made the discovery. Everyone was surprised. ~mark had forgotten that he
did it. You had forgotten that the source was ~mark and not Okrand. I was
clueless. Everyone laughed. It was a beautiful joke. No meanness intended
toward anyone. It was a beautiful joke of fate.

> This was in rebuttal to Dr. Lawrence Schoen's accusation
> that peHruS has made up Klingon words.

I rarely hear Lawrence accuse anyone of anything. He's more diplomatic than
most of the rest of us; certainly more than me. Let's be kinder, shall we?
Why accuse Lawrence of accusing you? Why don't we all stop accusing each
other and just play nice?

> In truth, peHruS has
> never made up so
> much as one Klingon new word.  peHruS has suggested numerous
> combinations of
> existing words.

jISaHbe'. jItuv. yIntaH mu'na'mey. Hegh mu'qoqmey. vIt loSnISlu' neH.

> peHruS

Dun yIn. Dun Hol. Dun juppu'. yItIv.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level