tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 29 07:54:24 2001

Re: A little Poetry

[I'll comment on this vocabulary/canon question & leave the rest to a
grammarian.]

brion vibber wrote:

> - Is there any difference in sense between pI' and ror? Both are listed as
> 'to be fat' in TKD. I probably could more easily get a rhyme with pI', but
> I think meter is more significant than rhyme here anyway and haven't tried.

Not as far as we know.  Neither have been used in canon, though {pI'} does show
up as an element in {runpI'} "teapot" in KGT.  (Note the joke: a Klingon teapot
is both short {run} and stout [lit. "fat"] {pI'}!)

I'm sure that in practice, of course, there is a difference - much as fat,
thick, husky, stout, chunky, obese, overweight, not to mention "large", "big"
and "solid" are all English variations WRT degree, euphemism, politeness or
context (e.g. medicine/biology or cooking or slang, etc.) - but until Maltz
gives us more information, we can't begin to guess what that might be.

FYI: related vocabulary includes the noun {tlhagh} "fat, animal fat" - which
Klingons eat BTW (cf. KGT p.93) - and the verbs {jeD} "be thick, be dense, be
viscous" and {lang} "be thin".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons