tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 29 06:08:26 2001

Re: ret and pIq

We don't KNOW that's not how they work.  We do know a manner in which they
DO work.  For instance,

wa' Hogh pIq qalegh.
I'll see you one week from now.

But we don't KNOW that you can't say

pIq qalegh.
I'll see you in the future.

There's no grammatical reason why this sentence is invalid.  The only
objection you might raise is that of Klingons never being
approximate--however, that can hardly dictate correct usage.  As far as I
can recall, Okrand shows us how the words might be used, not how they MUST
be used.

I've noticed that those people who object to something like

ben qalegh
I saw you years ago

don't seem to object to phrases like

ben law' qalegh.
I saw you many years ago.

I don't understand this; /ben law'/ is no more legitimate a time stamp than
/ben/.  It's not more precise, though it is more descriptive.

SuStel
Stardate 1408.8