tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 19 06:51:19 2001

Re: When writing Klingon fiction...

ja' Lawrence:
>The story I wrote for STRANGE NEW WORLDS III, <<jubHa'>>, doesn't
>translate into English worth a damn, but I think works remarkably well
>in Klingon. This is true from the title on out. Even so, I'm probably
>going to attempt to do just that next weekend. I'll be dropping in at
>Balticon for a day, and if their schedule allows they want me to do a
>reading in Klingon. We'll see how it goes.

I imagine it would be appropriate to remind everyone at the start that
there is no actual "English version" of the story, and you're basically
translating it on the fly.  I read <puqbe' bortaS> to my family that way,
and it was odd coming across a couple of phrases that resisted narrative
translation.  The *ideas* were perfectly clear in my mind (I wrote the
thing, after all), but they came out in English so much less satisfyingly
than the Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level