tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 14 20:51:40 2001

RE: KLBC: Grammer questions

ghunchu'wI' said:
I think the verb {QID} "wound" was what Qov was going for.  It's one of
the
"one-way" words in TKD, appearing only in the Klingon-English side of
the
dictionary proper.  It's as if a small group of words beginning with "w"
got dropped from the English-Klingon side by accident.

Here's my theory on the majority of these "one-way" words:
Since most of them appear at the end of the English alphabet (wheeze,
whisper, zoo, etc.) an editor or someone else may have cut out some of them,
in order to meet a page-limit. The last page of the English vocabulary
section, p. 161, is filled completely, so it looks like they had to trim it
down to fit on to that page.
Similarly, in the addendum, the last page (185) of the Klingon vocabulary is
filled up. So that may explain why {'ur} and {'urwI'} are omitted from the
Klingon half of the addendum, but not the English half.

-taD

Back to archive top level