tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 14 20:49:39 2001

RE: KLBC: Grammer questions

> Qov:
> >While they were fighting, the mugato's claw wounded the warrior's skin.
>
> yeygha':
> >SuvtaHvIS SuvwI' DIr 'oy' mughato' pach.
>
> taD:
> >{'oy'} means "ache, hurt, be sore", so normally it doesn't have an object.
> >You want to modify the verb and say "the claw causes the skin to be sore".
>
> I think the verb {QID} "wound" was what Qov was going for.  It's one of the
> "one-way" words in TKD, appearing only in the Klingon-English side of the
> dictionary proper.  It's as if a small group of words beginning with "w"
> got dropped from the English-Klingon side by accident.

Aw, rats.  I didn't do that on purpose.  Vocab in my head is divided
somewhat into original vocabulary (first edition), new vocabulary (second
edition and TKW, which I bought the same week), and newfangled vocabulary
(everything since).  I checked to make sure QID was in the 1st edition, but
obviously I looked it up from the Klingon side, because I already know the
word.  Sorry, wasn't meant to be a trick question.  I avoided a zoo
sentence for that reason.

Qov

Back to archive top level