tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 10 19:59:33 2001

Re: *Paramount* chaw'

>> Who coins new Klingon words? Is the KLI able to do it, or is it
>> solely the prerogative of Paramount and/or Dr Okrand?
>
> Only Okrand.

  As with any living language, anyone can coin a new word.  In junior
high my friends and I did it all the time.  The key is getting people to
use the new word.  In my junior high example, everyone outside my little
circle of friends thought we were weird and ignored us, so these new
words would not get widely used and quickly died out.
  I suspect most on this list worship Okrand and would ignore your new
word.  But who knows?  Give it a try and see if it sticks.  I wouldn't
invent a word just for the sake of doing it, but if you feel there is a
real need for a word and others agree with you, there you go.

QIS

Back to archive top level