tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 09 19:46:38 2001

Re: KLBC-Story

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' yeygha':
> >The main problem I ran into was how to say "one day". I wanted to say "One
> >day a vicious targ ate his pet." Is there anyway to do that?

ghunchu'wI':
> Is it important that the event occurred on one day rather than two?  That
> it occurred on a specific day rather than a different one?  The use of "one
> day" in English narrative is just a stylistic feature, and doesn't carry
> much meaning beyond "exactly when this happened is not important".  If
> something isn't important to an idea, Klingon typically ignores it
> completely (with the prominent exception of indefinite subjects).

I didn't necessarily need a direct translation of "one day", just a
Klingon equivalent (if one exists).

I just wanted some way of transitioning from one sentence to the next,
because what I wrote sounded choppy to me...probably a human judgement I
guess :) But does Klingon have any such stylistic devices to accomplish
this? Do we have any information on Klingon story-telling traditions? It
seems to me that if Klingons tell stories, then they would probably use
special linguistic constructions. Hmm...now I am intrigued by the
possibilities :)

-yeygha'

[email protected]

Real men milk bears.