tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 05 08:59:10 2001

RE: tuQaHlaH'a' ?

Ahhhh. Now, I see where this came from.

Okay, I think the root of the problem here is the difference in specificity
common to English and Klingon. This is actually a very vague statement. We
can come up with a lot of reconstructions to try to build a Klingon
statement that remains as vague as this, but as you can tell by the
discussion, different people will have problems with each solution.

Another approach is to make some decisions about what you specifically mean
by this. If you do that, your job of translation will become easier.

jajvetlh choja'. quv DaDel.
jajvetlh maja'chuq. quv wIDel.

Hmmm. As for wild ideas, I could see justification for the often suggested
{quv wIDelchuq} by claiming that we are using a new twist on the prefix
trick by having {-chuq} point to the indirect object instead of the direct
object, while the prefix refers to the actual direct object, but the simple
truth is, that's not what Maltz has ever told us. The prefix trick only
works in specific instances he has described and this isn't one of them.

Hmmm. Could {Hoch latlhvaD} mean "for each other"? {latlh} is singular,
after all, and {Hoch X(singular)} does mean "Each X".

If so, {Hoch latlhvaD quv wIDel.}

jajvetlh choja'. quv luqel mu'lIj.

jajvetlh choja'taHvIS quv DabuSchu'taH.

jajvetlh maja'taHvIS quv WIbuSchu'taH.

jajvetlh muDuQchu' quv lubuSchu'bogh mu'lIj'e'.

The less tightly you hold yourself to the original English words and
grammar, the more your options grow to express your idea in Klingon,
sometimes with clarity and beauty of expression that the original English
words lacked.

> juDmoS

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level