tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 03 07:50:11 2001

Re: Klingon WOTD: qep (n)

: Klingon word:   qep
: Part of Speech: noun
: Definition:     meeting

Never used by Okrand in canon.

The phrase *{qep cher} has appeared on the KLI website for "hold/set up a
meeting".

I've seen *{qep wa'DIch} "first contact" used here on the mailing list in
discussions of the movie {Hov leng: qep wa'DIch}.

Also cf. {qep'a'} "conference, congress".  This noun was coined by the KLI for
its annual members congress, but it was accepted and used by Okrand in a post
on the old startrek.expertforum newsgroup (11/96):

  qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'.

Relevant verbs include:

  {ghom}  meet, encounter, assemble, rendezvous
  {qIH}   meet (for the first time)
  {lIH}   introduce

In an interview for _HolQeD_, Will Martin (charghwI'/SarrIS) and Okrand
discussed, inter alia, the differences between {ghom} and {qIH}:

   In his interview focussing on how particular verbs work with direct
   objects, Okrand revealed that while {ghom} can be used properly either
   as {qaghom} or {maghom} (so {maghomchuq} would be somewhat redundant,
   but not entirely wrong), {qIH} can only be used as {qaqIH} or
   {maqIHchuq} and never as *{maqIH}.

   The more general verb works both as {qaghom} "I meet you" and {maghom}
   "we meet". The verb {qIH} always has a direct object.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level