tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 31 13:03:43 2001

RE: jIlIH'egh

Welcome to the list, HurghwI'! I'm taD, the current Beginner's Grammarian.
It's my job to help beginners here with Klingon. You can add the letters
"KLBC" to your subject line whenever you want me to check your work, or if
you have a question about how to say something in Klingon. If possible, you
should also include what you were trying to say, in English. This will make
it easier for me to make sure that you say what you are trying to say.

HurghwI' said:

> tlhIngan Hol bojatlhbogh juppu'wI''e' Savan! HurghwI' vIponglu'pu', vaj
> HurghwI' tupong 'e' vIchaw' (chaq <<HurghwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'>>
> vIjatlhnISlaw'). ben law' tlhIngan Hol vIHaD, 'ej DaH jItaghqa'.

maj. {HurghwI' vIponglu'pu'} means "I have been called HurghwI'", so this
works here. But you are correct, {HurghwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'} would also be
good.

> QaghmeywIj tIlajneS, 'ach tulughmoH 'e'  boneHchugh peyevQo'

The verb {neH} ("want") is a little unusual. It doesn't use the pronoun
{'e'}, even if you "want" the previous sentence. So you would just leave out
the {'e'} here.

> Do' puS QeghmeywIj.

Just a minor typo here for {QaghmeywIj}.

> "Texas"Daq jIyIn, 'ej "UT"Daq 'ul jonwI' "German" je vIHaD.

Here, you've said "...and at UT, I study an electricity engineer and
German." I'm assuming that you're studying *to become* an electrical
engineer. So you could say that you're studying "electricity science" and
German.

*UT*Daq *physics* HaD je wa' jupwI'.

> Daj Hol QeD 'e' vIHar.

We actually have a single word {HolQeD} ("linguistics"), so if you want, you
can use that instead of two separate words {Hol QeD} ("the science of
language").

> buy'bej lupwIj.

This means "My second (of time) is definitely full". I'm guessing that by
this, you mean that you are very busy. The grammar is okay, but you could
try to find better vocabulary to represent this idea. For example, rather
than {lup} and {buy'}, you could try saying:
"My itinerary is definitely complex."

> Hoch tlhIH Sajaw 'e' vItIvrup.

{jaw} is defined as "chat" and not "chat with". So the subject of {jaw} is
the people who are chatting. In this case, it would be "you (plural) and I",
or "we".

> Qapla'!

tlhIngan Hol DaHaDqa'mo', maDo'.
Qapla'!