tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 31 12:58:16 2001

RE: KLBC: first post

I said:

> > maj. Note that {ghItlh} means "mark, incise, engrave, write", and refers
> > the physical process of marking on something (such as paper). So
> {ghItlhwI'}
> > could actually mean "stylus" or "one who writes (on something)". If you
> want
> > to refer to a "writer" as someone who composes a story, you could use
> > {qonwI'} ("one who records/composes").

Xardana replied:

> Could ghItlh refer also to "stamping" with a rubber stamp, for example,
> thus
> making a mark appear on the paper or similar medium?

KGT defines {ghItlh} as "engrave, incise, mark". So stamping may or may not
be covered by this meaning. However, for lack of a better word, I would say
that it's okay to use {ghItlh} if you stamp something. If you want to
distinguish between marking something and stamping something, though, then
you would have to describe the process in more detail.
Note that the verb {ghItlh} refers to the physical process of marking
something, and the verb {qon} refers to composing or recording something
(such as a story or a song).

> jaj per ghItlh Sardan

This reads as "Sardan writes/marks the day label". (It could also be read as
"The manuscript's Sardan labels the day") If this is what you meant to say,
then it is fine. However, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "day
label" - Were you trying to say something different?

- taD