tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 20 05:57:12 2001

RE: KLBC: Comic Relief

Robert said:

> tuQaHta'.
>
> *Comic Relief QaHmeH Soj mangev.

{Soj} ("food") is the object here, and you are selling it. The verb prefix
{ma-} is used when there is no object. So instead of {ma-}, you want to use
the verb prefix for "we - it", which is {wI-}:

{..Soj wIngev} "We sell food"

> loSmaH *pounds mapep.

Qov already gave you a good explanation of why {pep} only means to raise
something up physically. Instead, you could use the verbs {baj} ("earn"),
{Hev} ("receive"), or {Suq} "get, obtain".
Again, the verb prefix {ma-} is only used when you don't have an object. In
this case, the object is {loSmaH *pounds}, so you will use the prefix that
indicates "we - them":
{loSmaH *pounds DIbaj} "We earned 40 pounds"

> chepHa'ghach
> matungpu' jay'.

Again, the only problem here is with the verb prefix. You're discouraging
poverty, so you want to use the prefix {wI-} rather than {ma-}.

> Thanks for the suggestions of people on the list (most of which I read on
> Friday but had no chance to reply to until now). Is there a specific way
> of
> saying thankyou in Klingon? Even if there is, is it culturally taboo to
> actually say thankyou rather than acknowledge assistance.

There's the verb {tlho'} ("thank, appreciate"). So you could say:
{qatlho'} "I appreciate you (singular)"
or
{Satlho'} "I appreciate you (plural)"

However, Klingons don't use phrases like this all the time. They'd probably
save this for an important situation when they really mean it, e.g., if you
save a Klingon's life in battle. If a Klingon dropped something and you pick
it up for him/her, he/she wouldn't bother saying {qatlho'} to you.

- taD