tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 18 21:34:59 2001

RE: KLBC: introduction and patience perfection

Pagh-le' said:

> Pagh-le' JotqangtaH 'oH pongwIj'e'
>
> My name is Pagh-le' JotqangtaH (no one special, willing to remain calm).
> Also called Bradley among humans.

Welcome to the list, Pagh-le'! Since you obviously know about KLBC, I'll
skip my normal introductory paragraph.
Your sentence here is fine. Normally, when writing Klingon, the
spelling/capitalization would be {pagh le' jotqangtaH}, without dashes.
However, you can spell your name however you want.

> My Klingon name is not the usual sort of Klingon name because it was
> adopted upon 'ordination' so-to-speak into a spiritual order called
> QIng'a' -- as in
>
> QIng DaponglaHbogh teHbe' QIng (the QIng you can name is not the true
> QIng).

The first part of this is ok - {*QIng DaponglaHbogh} is "the *QIng that you
can name". However, to say that this "is not the true *QIng", you would use
a to-be sentence. This is the same type of sentence as your first one. You
are saying that there are two things, X and Y, and that "X is not Y".
In Klingon, the form of this is {Y 'oHbe' X'e'}. This is the same format as
your first sentence, except that we add the verb suffix {-be'} to say "not".
The two noun phrases would be:
X: {*QIng DaponglaHbogh} "The *QIng that you can name"
and
Y: {*QIng teH} "The true *QIng"
So, you would replace Y and X in the to-be sentence with these noun phrases,
and get:
{*QIng teH 'oHbe' *QIng DaponglaHbogh'e'} "The *QIng that you can name is
not the true *QIng"

> Of course, you will not find QIng anywhere in the Klingon language books
> nor anywhere else, I imagine. I coined it myself one day as the word came
> to me unbidden (while stepping out of the shower).
>
> You might recognize from the quotation above that QIng is rather like Tao.
>

> I invite your comments as to the propriety of this and the grammar of the
> quote.

Your Klingon sentence was a good attempt. Normally, we can't coin words such
as your "QIng". If you do use a word like this, it's good practice to mark
it with an asterisk in front, so that people know that it isn't a real
Klingon word. You may also want to include an explanation of what the word
is, if it isn't immediately obvious.
For example, I might write {*pepSIy* vItlhutlh}, or preferably just {*Pepsi*
vItlhutlh}.

> Meanwhile, I am trying to translate various concepts from Taoism and
> Buddhism into Klingon. I have also attempted to translate the Jedi Code
> into Klingon.
>
> One Buddhist concept I have attempted to translate today is 'the
> Perfection of Patience.' I have this as tuvghach pupmoHghach (patience
> perfection). Would you say this was a correct translation?

What exactly does "the Perfection of Patience" mean here? If it means being
incredibly patient with someone, you could use the verb suffix {-chu'}
("perfectly") on the verb {tuv} ("be patient"):
{tuvchu'} "he/she/it/they are perfectly/completely patient"
If you use the suffix {-ghach} here, then you can use it as a noun. I'd
probably translate {tuvchu'ghach} as something like "Perfectly Patientness".
Depending on how you want to use the idea, {tuvchu'} or {tuvchu'ghach} could
work.

The suffix {-ghach} is generally used on verbs with other suffixes. In your
translation, {tuvghach pupmoHghach}, {tuv} doesn't have any other suffixes
on it. So it's grammatically correct, but it might sound odd to a Klingon.

> Another idea I have is the Klingon name of one called 'the Old Master.' I
> have this as pIn'a'-qan (augmented boss/master--be old). This relies upon
> a certain naming convention I have adopted for my own use, and upon the
> translation of "master" as pIn'a'.
>
> BTW, I am quite in awe of the proficiency of some of the members of this
> list.

{pIn'a' qan} is fine for "the old master". Just note that you don't need to
separate compound words with dashes, as you did here.
A good first introduction. majQa'.

- taD