tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 07 11:10:29 2001

United Kingdom

la' Voragh

> According to my notes, the relevant bit from the "Radio Times" 30th
anniversary
> Trek book was:

>  wo' tay' tlhInganpu' maH!
>  We are U.K. Klingons!

> (If you have a copy of the book, I'd appreciate knowing if I've made a
> mistake.)

paqvam vIghaj - bIqarchu'.  "glottal stop" vInoppu'.

> I thought that England was a kingdom but the UK is still officially an
empire,
> consisting of formerly independent Wales, Scotland, part of Ireland, and
> miscellaneous overseas holdings.

Not so (trust me, I'm a lawyer }}:)8 )  the remants of empire  (e.g.
Falklands, St Helena, Gibraltar, Tristan da Cunha, Channel Islands) are not
part of the United Kingdom, they are ruled by the Crown, but that is a
different thing.  The UK plus those holdings would be a {wo'}.  England,
Scotland and Ireland used to be independent kingdoms, but the Crowns of
England and Scotland were united (not the states, that came later) when
James VI of Scotland inherited the throne of England.  English kings had
claimed the Irish crown for centuries but in the 16th Century English rule
was (unfortunately) made effective there.  The states of Scotland and
England were united about a century later (what a parcel of rogues in a
nation) which created the United Kingdom of Great Britain.  Legally Wales
was a part of England in the same way as the Dakotas is a part of the United
States - while it was once an independent state, it was conquered in 1284
and absorbed into England in 1536.  Only in the 20th century did it again
receive any recognition of its separate status.  In 1801 the Irish
parliament was abolished and Ireland ruled from Westminster, hence the
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (now Northern Ireland).  So we
have three states united together, as you see on the flag.

So (as I guiltily get this discussion back to the Klingon language) I think
{Sep tay'} would be  best, bearing in mind its historical context on Kronos.
UK plus foreign holdings would be {wo'}.  Or perhaps even {Sepmey tay'}
though it is not the literal translation, and could lead to confusion with
the US of America (or Mexico!).  But, as I said in my earlier post, if we
are playing the game by the rules, {wo' tay'} is canon for UK.

naQSej

Back to archive top level