tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 28 17:01:14 2001

RE: KLBC: Octopus

I said:

	> It looks like you made a look-up error for the word "be long".
	> {jon} is the
	> verb "to capture"; {tIq} ("be long") is the verb that you want
	> here.

David replied:

	Definitely a look-up error.  I was going to write "The octopus
	uses it's long arms to capture prey.", but decided to say
	something more simple when I realized I was in over my head.
	Any suggestions on what would work?  Maybe..

	*crab* jonmeH, DesDu'Daj lo'
	(it uses its arms to capture crabs)

That works fine. Just remember that we write {S} uppercase in Klingon, to
remind us that the {S} sound isn't quite the same as the English "s" sound.
We actually do have a word for "prey" in Klingon - {gheD}. So if you want,
you could use that in place of *crab*.

	> DaH *octopus* ngoDmey vISov!

	Daj *octopus*, bIQochbe'a'?

HISlaH. You could also use the word {qar'a'} here. Literally, {qar'a'} means
"Is it accurate?" It can be used at the end of the sentence, and would be
the same as saying: "The octopus is interesting, right?" or "The octopus is
interesting, isn't it?"

- taD

Back to archive top level