tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 16 17:40:15 2001

RE: KLBC: yu'ghach Daj

I said:
	>This sounds a little awkward; you could just ask >the
straight-forward
	>question "How many Christians learn Klingon?"

qonwI' replied:
	Actually I wasn't asking for an answer, it was just sort of
"thinking out
	loud". (I couldn't find a word for "wonder")

{SIv} is the verb "wonder". It's one of the words which is in the
Klingon-English half of the dictionary, but not in the English-Klingon half.

I believe that "wonder" was mentioned in an interview in an issue HolQeD. It
was one of several verbs that were used in sentence-as-object constructions.
You would use it this way:
{mIgh qoqlIj 'e' vISIv} "I wonder if your robot is evil", literally "Your
robot is evil. I wonder that."

	> Daj yu'ghach 'e' vIQub.
	>
	>The above sentence could be translated as:
	>"I think that the interrogation is interesting"

	I was trying to find the word "question" (as a noun) but only found
{yu'},
	and I wasn't sure how I could use that.

We don't have any nouns for "question", but we have several related verbs:
{yu'} "interrogate"
{ghel} "ask (a question)"

For example, you might say:
{Daj qechvam vIghelbogh} "This idea which I ask is interesting"

There is also the verb {tlhob} ("request, ask, plead"), but that seems to be
"asking for something" rather than "asking a question".

- taD

Back to archive top level