tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 15 19:40:25 2001

RE: KLBC: yu'ghach Daj

qonwI' said:

	jabbI'ID ghomDaq *Christian*pu' tu'lu''a'?  *Christian* jIH.

maj.

	tlhIngan Hol lughoj *Christian*pu' 'ar 'e' vIQub.

Since you've used a question word {'ar} ("how many?"), this is asking the
question:
"I think that how many Christians learn Klingon?", which could be rephrased
in English as:
"How many Christians do I think learn Klingon?"
This sounds a little awkward; you could just ask the straight-forward
question "How many Christians learn Klingon?"
Also note that when we use the question word {'ar}, we don't use a plural
suffix on the noun.
So this would be:
{tlhIngan Hol ghoj *Christian* 'ar} "How many Christian(s) learn the Klingon
language?"

	Daj yu'ghach 'e' vIQub.

The above sentence could be translated as:
"I think that the interrogation is interesting"
However, if you use the verb suffix {-ghach} on a bare verb (with no other
verb suffixes}, it sounds odd to Klingons.
So {yu'ghach} would sound a little strange to a native Klingon speaker, in
the same way that "interrogate-tion" sounds weird to a native English
speaker.

- taD

Back to archive top level