tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 31 15:41:28 2001

re: Questions

charghwI' 'utlh wrote:
: > From: "Tod The Wonder-Newt" <[email protected]>
: > Any thoughts? Next, can 'tammoH' be a noun,
:
: No.
:
: > as in 'tammoH'a'', a "Crouching Tiger"-zen  sort of name?
:
: There are no rules for names, though you can certainly come up with a name
: that makes people groan and roll their eyes. It sounds like you are making
: headway in that direction. Keep up the good work.

If you want to turn it into a noun, use {-wI'}: {tammoHwI'} "silencer, one who
silences".

: Otherwise, you might want to check the FAQ for names. The URL of the FAQ is
: in the header of each message (though that is hidden by some mailers) and
: every month or so Holtej mails out a reminder. I'm pretty sure there's a
: link to it at the http://www.kli.org website.

Keep in mind, though, that {tammoH'a'} will be understood as a question: "Does
he/she/they silence [him/her/them]?" by anyone who doesn't know you but if you
*really* like it as your name, by all means use it but be prepared to have to
constantly explain it.  Some people do just this; for example, our current
Beginning Grammarian, Tad Stauffer, uses {taD} "be frozen" as his Klingon name.

: > And can 'bang' be a verb, as in 'qabang'?

This is a common beginner's mistake.

: No. It can't. Can you use the English noun "honor" as an adverb without any
: suffixes? You can in Klingon. Why not in English? Parts of speech are not
: interchangeable in Klingon unless the definition explicitly tells you so.

Okrand wrote on startrek.klingon:

  "the word {bang} is indeed a noun meaning love, but it refers to the
   object of one's affection, that is, beloved one."

For the verb most people use either {parHa'} "like", *{parHa'qu'} "really like,
like a lot", or - most commonly - the non-canonical *{muSHa'} "un-hate/detest",
as in *{qamuSHa'}.  Note that you can also rephrase the idea of "I love you"
with the bald declaration {bangwI' SoH} "you are my beloved" or {banglI' jIH}
"I am your beloved".  Tagging the pronoun with {-'e'} would make the statement
even stronger.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons