tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 25 00:30:17 2001

RE: Comments on the negation posting

I guess I'll look forward to seeing that. It doesn't seem especially
ambiguous.

> As you probably know, pronouns-as-verbs also take negation. I am
> unaware of
> any negative structures which cannot occur in Klingon - except for maybe
> those odd complex "almost-negations", like "I can hardly hear
> you". Maybe "I
> can almost not hear you", I don't really know.

{tlhoS qaQoylaHbe'.} That's more like "I almost cannot hear you" than like
"I can almost not hear you," which would instead be {tlhoS qaQoybe'laH},
which would tend to imply that I was trying to not hear you, but I failed.

> I'm also unsure on
> the future
> negative: "I couldn't possibly do that!" Can any listers who know
> expand on
> this, please?

Qu'vetlh vIta'laHbe'. DuHbe'. laH 'ut vIHutlh.

Maybe you are really referring to the negative irrealis, since there is no
irrealis in Klingon. "I wouldn't hurt you even if I could." You basically
have to recast it eliminating the problem grammar: {qarIQmoHlaHbej 'ach reH
qarIQmoHQo'.}

> Qapla' 'ej Satlho'
>
> ro'Han

charghwI'