tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 23 12:39:18 2001

Re: qung "pun"

ro'Han asks:
: What is the Spanish basis of the Klingon <<pa' reD>>??

{pa' reD}  interior face of exterior wall (n.)
Spanish *pared* means "wall".

The only other definite Spanish pun I know of is {na'ran}, defined in KGT as a
"type of fruit" *Naranja* means "orange" in Spanish.  Some have suggested that
{lam} "be dirty" is a pun on Spanish *lama* "mud, slime" but I'm not entirely
convinced.

: I read an interesting (although not really in-depth) paper the other day
: comparing Klingon to Mutsun, a native American language on which Dr MO
: wrote a dissertation earlier in his career (before he created Klingon).

Okrand reads Spanish.  In fact, much of his source material for his
dissertation was in 17th or 18th century Spanish.  In light of this, I'm a
little surprised that there aren't more Spanish - or even Mutsun - puns in
Klingon.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons