tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 18 00:36:18 2001

questions about fingers and toes

It struck me when I started dealing with these new words from the body text
of the latest HolQeD article from Okrand that I wanted to {gheb} the bull by
the "horns" and update the list.

I am somewhat bothered when Okrand makes a comment like: "The verbs {nan}
'use the fourth toe' and {nan} 'gouge' are probably etymologically related,
since {nan} is used to refer to a particularly effective martial arts kick."
Great. So when one uses {nan} to refer to such a kick, is it a noun or a
verb? All uses of {nan} up to that point were verbs, so should I list {nan}
also with a definition like, "execute a particularly effective martial arts
kick"? Or is the kick itself a noun form of {nan}? Until I have more
evidence, I don't feel like I can list the word with that definition.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level