tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 09 20:03:12 2001

RE: KLBC: vut qor

I replied to Korax:

>    ghojwI' quoreQ jIpongegh
>         [I name myself Student Korax]

>Unfortunately, we don't have many examples of the verb {pong}; some
>suggestions on saying "My name is..."

Korax said:

	Ahhyes. I was basing my sentence off the example {jIqIp'egh} (I hit
	myself) on page 35 of TKD. Probably should have looked at my
archived
	messages though...

qay'be'. The format you used ([name] jIpong'egh} is a good attempt anyway;
for all we know, it could be perfectly valid way of saying "My name is...".
However, we don't know if it is grammatically acceptable for sure.

When using the reflexive suffix {-'egh}, we are saying that the subject and
object are the same. For {jIqIp'egh}, the person doing the hitting is the
same as the person being hit. If we try to say *{[name] jIpong'egh}, then
the subject (the person who is doing the naming) is the same as the object
(the person who is being named). So the [name] is sort of just floating
there, and is neither the subject nor the object. The suggestions that are
mentioned in the FAQ list are ways of rewriting the original idea, following
grammar that we are more sure of.

	As for the 'will you read my manuscript' part, yes, it was taken
	directly from the Useful Phrases part of TKD. }:-)

That's ok - just realize that sometimes there are typos in the dictionary in
some places, or as in this case, the English version isn't a direct
translation of the Klingon. If you translate your own sentences from
scratch, then you'll be more likely to find areas that you are having
trouble with, and then you can focus on them and learn better.

Qapla'!
- taD

Back to archive top level