tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 09 13:40:02 2001

RE: KLBC: vut qor

Welcome to the list, Korax! I'm taD, the current Beginner's Grammarian.
Since you already included "KLBC" in your subject line, I'll skip the rest
of my standard intro.

Korax said:

	nuqneH,

	ghItlh vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'
	     [Will you read my manuscript?]

This is fine. Just note that the Klingon sentence literally means "Do
you/Are you going to read the manuscript that I have written?"

	qagh vut quot
	     [Kor cooks gagh]

Aside from a typo for {qor}, this is good.

	bong qagh HeghmoH qor
	     [Kor accidentally cause the gagh to die]

Good. Although {HeghmoH} is listed in the Klingon Dictionary as "be fatal",
it is actually the verb {Hegh} ("die") plus the verb suffix {-moH}
("cause"). So you used the verb correctly here.

	not qagh vuttaH qor
	     [Kor will not cook gagh again]

For expressing the idea of "again", you can use the verb suffix {-qa'} ("do
again, resume").
{not qagh vutqa' qor} "Kor will never cook gagh again."

	ghojwI' quoreQ jIpongegh
	     [I name myself Student Korax]

Again, watch out for spelling. In Klingon, a {u} doesn't necessarily follow
a {q}. The Klingon spelling of the name "Korax" is {qoreQ}.

Unfortunately, we don't have many examples of the verb {pong}; some
suggestions on saying "My name is..." are listed in the Frequently Asked
Questions list at:

One way that you could say "My name is..." would be to use the noun {pong}:
{qoreQ 'oH pongwIj'e'} "My name is Korax." This could also be worded in
English as "As for my name, it is Korax."

- taD

Back to archive top level