tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 07 00:36:32 2001

Re: Klingan as an IAL

Klingon as an International Auxiliary Language?  Charming.  It was
designed to be as unlike the typical natural language as possible
while still maintaining pronouncability.  With only {qa'vIn} as a
true cognate, a significant lack of present-day technical vocabulary,
and a syntax which has nothing whatsoever to do with either
Indo-European or Chinese roots, Klingon is a very poor candidate for
an IAL.

ja' Matthew Pennington <[email protected]>:

>That is why I propose a fund for the advancement and exploration of
>the Klingon language.  We could call this fund AEKL. Among it's many
>responsibilities would be the publishing of the weekly newspaper and
>the dictionary idea Igor mentioned.

Or we could call it the KLI.  It's already been set up to do exactly
what you're suggesting, and it's already publishing more or less what
Igor wanted.  All it needs is your support, and the support of your
friends.

>We can, we should, we will, we are. Know it and live it. And someone,
>please, translate it into Klingon.

"It" in Klingon is {'oH}...hmm?  Oh, sorry, I must have misunderstood
you.  Here, let's have a go at it together.  You try first, and I'll
help you with any problems you encounter.  If you're serious about
promoting Klingon, you'll need to practice using it.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level