tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 07 00:34:58 2001

RE: Any Lawyers here

I realize this is a rather late response.  So sue me. :-)

>>---------------
>>Can one write in _Klingon_, say speeches in it,
>>publish anything in it - or one must buy the right to do so first?
>>----------------
>
>No you don't necessarily >>have to<< buy the rights - or the KLI would have
>been persecuted/prosecuted to death long ago.

Interesting you should put it that way.  Long ago, the KLI was indeed
asked by Viacom to stop publishing Klingon language materials,
specifically HolQeD.  If Lawrence hadn't managed to negotiate a
license, the KLI would have been compelled to close up shop.  While
the rights to promote the language weren't exactly bought -- the
details are rather obscure -- they were explicitly granted to the KLI
by the copyright owner of The Klingon Dictionary.

>...IMHO the legal standing of "Fan Publications" and associated
>materials (where we "legally" fit, if I understand the law correctly) has
>been pretty well established as "non-infringing".

Lawrence is actually pretty adamant about HolQeD *not* being a "fan"
publication.  The things the KLI prints (with the possible exception
of t-shirts) all fit under the license it enjoys.

>HoH batlh, HoH baj batlh
>'a po' batlh vaj 'ut joch neH

"Honor kills, honor earns killing, but honor is skilled so only a
sensor is essential."

nuqjatlh?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level