tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 03 09:46:48 2001

RE: corrected email re:confusion with correct spellings

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Trimboli, David wrote:

> Don't confuse spelling with pronunciation!

Obviously that's what's confusing me .It seems that the difference in
martok,to martoq to 'martaq' is not just changing the 'k' to 'q' but the
*sound* of the vowel as you *say* the name. So what you're saying is that
Martok is really 'martaq' not 'martoq [incorrect changes].

Therefore, the name I choose Matok [the hebrew equiv of Myron] which I
really have no idea ,how it is pronounced [I assumed just remove the 'r'
as in MaRtok as an example] should really be translated into tlhIngan Hol
as "mataq' since I *want* the 'ah' sound and not the 'toke' sound.

Matok = mataq as in
malqa mataq tuq  would be the correct way to write my given and line name
then in tlhIngan Hol.

> In Klingon, the letter /a/ ALWAYS represents the sound in English "ah."
> ("Say 'ah.'")
>
> The letter /o/ ALWAYS represents the sound of "o" in "home."
>
> Klingon does NOT have the sound of "a" in "apple."  This sound simply does
> not exist in Klingon.
>
> Therefore, /martaq/ is the correct way to "spell" Martok.  Remember that
> Klingon "spelling" is not really spelling: it's a way to represent
> pronunciation.
>
> If you were to write /martoq/, it would be pronounced like "mar-toke."

Back to archive top level