tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 02 08:23:17 2001

confusion with correct spellings

A few years ago I requested help with names for a persona I was
developing. One of the names I was going to be using was spelled in
English ,which I will refer to as Federation Std, was Matok.Since there is
no 'k' in tlhIngan Hol I translated the spelling to be 'matoq' and was
told this was correct.
While glancing through KGT yesterday I saw an item with got me confused.
On page 198 ,in the chapter on 'Direct Address an example is used with the
name Martok. This name is close to the name I was using, however I noticed
that not only was the 'k' changed to a  'q' , as I had done, but the final
vowel 'o', was changed to an 'a'. I don't understand why. Why is 'martoq'
written as 'martaq'? Is the 'martaq' the way 'martoq' sounds when
pronounced? I also noticed that Gowron is {fed spelling} also is spelled
with the 'o's being replaced by 'a'. On page 16 of TKD I do see under
chapter 1.2 [vowels] ,that 'when a vowel is followed by a 'w' or 'y' the
combination of letters may not represent the same sound it does in English
spelling ie: klingon        rhymes with English    as in
              aw                  ow                cow

This would explain the Gowron---->ghawran example
but I don't understand Martok---->martaq
and whether my 'matoq' should be changed to mataq or not .

Is the name matoq *and martoq [as example] spelled [written out]
matoq/martoq but *vocalized* as 'mataq/martoq then ?

Please help ...

Lt.Commander Maud "malqa" Freifelder         l MAJ. Maud Freifelder SFMC(R)
Chief Security Officer USS Triumph NCC-26228 l Military Police
"Triumph Against All Odds"                   l 622 MSG  2 BN/2 BDE
STARFLEET/Region 2                           l "Have Phaser, Will Travel"
                         [email protected]/aka tfn.net

Back to archive top level