tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 28 17:43:00 2001

Re: Klingon Phonetics

ja' "Heather Myers" <[email protected]>:
>    Is the <H> a velar fricative?

Yes, or "dorso-velar", whatever that means.

>I've worked out that <ch> is an alveolar-palatal affricate

Don't forget "unvoiced". :)

>and <q> is a uvular stop (I think), but I'm not
>sure where to place things like <tlh> and <Q>.  I haven't gotten to vowels
>yet.  Can any of you phoneticists out there give me some pointers?  :)

The article "First Steps Towards a Phonological Theory of Klingon" in
HolQeD 1:1 by Allan C. Wechsler might be useful.  It characterizes
Klingon's vowels.  For consonants, it lists articulation points like
"labio-dental" and "glottal", and identifies "stops" and "fricatives" and
"affricates".

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level