tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 20 16:24:24 2001

Klingon Phonetics

    For quite a while I've wanted to get into phonetics and learn all those
nifty names for the sounds we make when we speak Klingon.  I've been doing
some research via the web and have obtained a few books about language and
phonetics, but I need some help, as I'm new at this and am not sure I'm
identifying these things correctly.
    Is the <H> a velar fricative?  I've worked out that <ch> is an
alveolar-palatal affricate and <q> is a uvular stop (I think), but I'm not
sure where to place things like <tlh> and <Q>.  I haven't gotten to vowels
yet.  Can any of you phoneticists out there give me some pointers?  :)  I'm
also playing around with a constructed language of my own and am trying to
name some of my sounds, a few of which I've borrowed from my Klingon
experience.

Heather "Sydney" Myers  <yabwIj! yabwIj vISamlaHbe'!>
NEW URL!  surf.to/sydneys "My brain! I can't find my brain!"
"God gave me a gift. I shovel well."
-The Shoveler, Mystery Men

Back to archive top level