tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 26 12:45:17 2001

RE: Proverb(KLBC)

SarrIS suggested:

> Not wishing to intrude on BG's turf, might I recommend the noun {jey'naS}?

> HeHvaD `etlh cha' batlh
> Honor is a two edge sword
>
> I wanted to say Honor is a double edge sword but couldn't find the word
> for
> double.

SarrIS's suggestion is exactly what I was thinking, too. A {jey'naS} is a
double edged axe, and the word appears in Klingon for the Galactic Traveler.
It was used in the following phrase:

{yuD; jey'naS rur} - "Dishonest as a double-headed axe", or literally "He's
dishonest; he resembles a double-headed axe"

Since the {jey'naS} represents duplicity because it has two blades, saying
"Honor is a double bladed axe" would probably work to say that honor has two
sides, both good and bad.

To actually say "Honor is a {jey'naS}", you could use the "to be" sentence
construction. This is the same type of sentence as your proverb from before,
"A warrior's best weapons are virtue and honor". Note that the form you
would use is {X 'oH Y'e'}. Since a {jey'naS} is "it" instead of "them", we
use the pronoun {'oH} instead of {bIH}.

Another way that I might phrase your sentence is to say "Honor resembles a
{jey'naS}". To say this, you would use the normal Object-Verb-Subject order:
{jey'naS rur batlh} "Honor resembles a double-edged axe"

- taD

Back to archive top level