tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 11:47:06 2001

Re: subordinate clauses (was KLBC)

------

>ghaHbe'wI' wrote:
>: can subordinate clauses introduced by a Type 9 verbal suffix have in
>: its turn a dependent clause? I mean, do these sentences make sense?
>:
>: 1-  jIpaS vIneHbe'mo' juH vIchegh
>: 1a- I go home because I don't want to be late

{jIpaS} is not dependent. It is a sentence unto itself. There is an
invisible {'e'} between {jIpaS} and {vIneHbe'mo'}. The issue then becomes
can the second verb of a Sentence-As-Object construction itself be a verb
for a dependent clause defined by its Type 9 suffix?

>: 2-  jIQoch 'e' vIQIjmo' QeHchoH
>: 2a- He got angry because I explained that I disagree

This is a more explicit example of the same construction. The second verb
of Sentence As Object is a Type 9 suffixed verb acting as a dependent
clause to the main verb.

This makes sense if you break it down into separate sentences as TKD
describes that this construction actually does. There's no prescribed
reason that {'e'} can't exist in a dependent clause, though all examples
only use that when it is least obtuse -- that is when the dependent clause
preceeds the main verb.

>They make perfect sense to me.

Me, too, though I do see the reason for caution.

>: In my opinon, they do. But I haven't found any example of this use in
canon.

>  bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS
>  To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison. TKW

This is a really interesting example, since what it arguably means is:

"You must enjoy that in order to really succeed, you must eat poison."

Or, if you interpret the {-meH} clause to describe the noun, it means:

"You muse enjoy that you eat the in-order-that-you-succeed poison."

The one bit of evidence that this latter meaning does not apply is that in
every example that I've seen of a verb with {-meH} modifying a noun, that
verb has not had a prefix.

>  Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'
>  Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it. TKW

This is the canon example that justifies this sort of construction. Looking
at it as two separate sentences with {'e'} representing the earlier
sentence in the later sentence, this still works. Every sentence is
complete.

Ha'DIbaH DaSop. Nothing controversial here.

'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'. Again, nothing controversial. This is one
complete sentence with the special pronoun {'e'} in a dependent clause.
Because it comes so near the beginning of the sentence, this works. I
wonder (and somewhat doubt) it would work if the dependent clause FOLLOWED
the main verb.

>  ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'
>  The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer. TKD

This example is different because here, {ja'chuqmeH} is modifying the noun
{rojHom}, not the verb {neH}. It is a good example to look at, but it
doesn't really deal with the issue at hand. Meanwhile, I think it is
important to remind people that {-meH} verbs can modify nouns. More
literally, this means, "The enemy commander wants an in-order-to-confer
truce." If I remember correctly, the text description in TKD accompanying
this example explains this.

>  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh
>   janluq pIqarD HoD.
>  Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc
>   Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

This is a fine example of Okrand violating his most frustrating rule as he
puts {-ta'} on {wuq}, the second verb of a Sentence As Object. We are told
in TKD that we are not supposed to do this. I hope we can consider this to
be an outdated rule, since Okrand has broken it a number of times, and he
has told us that usage is the key to understanding the language.

Again, if we break this down into two sentences, it becomes:

yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran. No controversy here. This is a normal, complete
sentence.

'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD. The main controversy
here is the name {pIqarD}, which is one of only two names we've been given
by Okrand that violate the normal rules of Klingon pronunciation. The other
name is, ironically enough {qIrq}.

Other than that, you just have to recognize that {cho'} is a noun. The
relative clause is interesting without the {-'e'} marker, since it leaves
that dependent clause interpretable two ways:

Jean-Luc Pickard, who had acted as succession's arbiter, decided that.

or

Succession's arbitor, who had been acted by Jean-Luc Pickard, decided that.

And the weird thing is, they both work.

>  Heghlu'DI' mobbe'lu'chugh QaQqu' Hegh wanI'
>  Death is an experience best shared. TKW

I would be interested to know whether Okrand considered {Heghlu'DI'} to
apply to the dependent clause or the main one. Likely, it is a time stamp
for both actions (being not alone and being very good). Meanwhile, I could
easily see this going either way:

If one is not alone when one dies -- death's situation is very good.

If one is not alone -- when one dies, death's situation is very good.

Again, both of these work for me.

>Klingon sentences can be quite complex - some of the SkyBox cards for
example -
>although Okrand tends to avoid them so as not to confuse the reader or
obscure
>his main grammatical point.

This reminds me of my college roomate's addition to Scott Joplin's
instructions for playing rags:

Joplin:
Do not play rags fast. They should always be played slowly.
Gladd:
"Besides, it's a lot easier that way."

>--
>Voragh
>Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

I think an even more interesting question is, can {'e'} be used in a
dependent clause that FOLLOWS the second verb in a Sentence As Object
construction. We have no examples of this, and I personally think it is a
bad idea. To be effective, {'e'} needs to immediately follow the setence it
represents with, at most, an adverbial between them.

I'll make it a mild modification of the TKW example above:

Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'taHvIS yIHoHQo'
Do not kill an animal while you do not intend to eat it.

Grammatically, we can treat this exactly the same as the {-chugh} example
earlier, except that we know that dependent clauses with {-taHvIS} work
equally as well following the main verb as preceeding it:

Ha'DIbaH DaSop yIHoHQo' 'e' DaHechbe'taHvIS.

Technically, this should work, but it is really ugly and can lead to even
uglier examples. I'd avoid this whole direction of technically correct, but
stylistically ugly sentence because, at heart, we know that {'e'} needs to
immediately follow the sentence it describes. I suspect this is why Okrand
often seems to misplace the adverbial in his Sentence As Object examples
because he doesn't want to put the adverbial or time stamp where they
really belong, in front of {'e'} because they then separate the {'e'} from
the previous sentence. The pronoun {'e'} only works for very short-term
memory of what the last thing is one just said.

SarrIS

Back to archive top level