tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 22 19:43:50 2001

Re: body parts? Quantifiers?

In a message dated 1/17/2001 2:20:33 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Also do {pob} and {jIb} refer to single strands of hair
> or are they "mass" nouns as in English? If they are countable,
> are they body parts? Any canon, please?

I've been really interested in how Klingon handles expressing quantities and
subsets.  In that I speak Chinese, a language in which everything has a
classifier (quantifier), I see a bleak lack of ways of expressing different
quantities in Klingon.

wa' tlho'ren HIq
wa' qegh HIq
wa' HIvje' HIq
wa' bal HIq
wa' cheb HIq (???)
wa' DeQ HIq (???)

I remember that the term "subsets" came up at the last qep'a'.  I don't
recall getting definitive answers.

In short, I , too, really want to know how to distinguish quantities, such as
"a hair, a lock of hair, a skein of hair, 72 hairs, etc.  What do Klingons do
in such cases?

peHruS

Back to archive top level