tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 22 12:53:34 2001

Re: (KLBC) subordinate clauses

ghaHbe'wI' wrote:
: can subordinate clauses introduced by a Type 9 verbal suffix have in
: its turn a dependent clause? I mean, do these sentences make sense?
:
: 1-  jIpaS vIneHbe'mo' juH vIchegh
: 1a- I go home because I don't want to be late
:
: 2-  jIQoch 'e' vIQIjmo' QeHchoH
: 2a- He got angry because I explained that I disagree

They make perfect sense to me.

: In my opinon, they do. But I haven't found any example of this use in canon.

  bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS
  To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison. TKW

  Ha'DIbaH DaSop 'e' DaHechbe'chugh yIHoHQo'
  Do not kill an animal unless you intend to eat it. TKW

  ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'
  The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer. TKD

  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh
   janluq pIqarD HoD.
  Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc
   Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

  Heghlu'DI' mobbe'lu'chugh QaQqu' Hegh wanI'
  Death is an experience best shared. TKW

Klingon sentences can be quite complex - some of the SkyBox cards for example -
although Okrand tends to avoid them so as not to confuse the reader or obscure
his main grammatical point.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons